Recipe: Bengkang Pandan
For the past few days we have been staying with a Malay family. Every night they make a traditional Malay dessert, called Bengkang pandan cake. We had to get the recipe and share!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups pandan juice
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar (1 cup if you like it very sweet)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon green food coloring (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients except for the sesame seeds.
- Oil a 8×8 pan and pour in mixture.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool, cut and enjoy.
You can find pandan leaves in most Asian food stores. The leaves are known as hala in Hawaii and sometimes called screw-pine leaves in other countries.
Can’t find pandan? Substitute 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder mixed with 3 cups of water to make a delicious chocolate cake!
Latest posts by Haley (see all)
- Visa Requirements for US Citizens Traveling Abroad - May 9, 2015
- Photos: Hoi An, Vietnam - May 9, 2015
- Photos: Halong Bay, Vietnam - May 7, 2015
- Photos: Chiang Mai, Thailand - May 7, 2015
Leave a Reply