Recipe: Raw, Vegan, Gluten-Free Key Lime Pie
Our friend Cherish, who works at The Garden Café at Common Ground, is an amazing baker. She focuses on creating healthy desserts that are either raw, vegan, gluten-free or all of the above. I had to have her over so she could share one of her amazing recipes.
We made a raw, vegan, gluten-free key lime pie. It was one of the best desserts I have ever had. She makes the filling with avocados and cashews and the crust from crushed mac nuts. Be sure to try it for yourself, you won’t be disappointed.
2 cups cashews
8 oz mac nuts
¾ cup coconut oil
2 tbs honey
½ cup + 2 tbs agave
1 tbs vanilla
pinch of salt
Cashew Cream for Filling:
- Soak 2 cups of cashews in 3 cups of water for about 30minutes. (While you are waiting you can make the crust.)
- Strain cashews.
- In a blender, combine cashews, 2 oz of lemon juice, 1 tbs of vanilla, ½ cup of coconut oil and ½ cup + 2 tbs of agave. Blend until creamy.
- Set aside.
- Cut both avocadoes in half. Scoop them into a blender. Add 6 oz of lime juice (approx 8 limes), ½ cup of agave, cashews and blend.
- Add 3 tbs of coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Blend.
- Mix with cashew cream and chill for a few hours.
- In a food processor combine 2 cups of mac nuts, 1 tbs of lime zest, ¼ cup of coconut oil, 2 tbs of honey and a pinch of salt.
- Mold crust into a pie dish and refrigerate.
When all ingredients are ready, pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate until the filling has hardened. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Haley (see all)
- Visa Requirements for US Citizens Traveling Abroad - May 9, 2015
- Photos: Hoi An, Vietnam - May 9, 2015
- Photos: Halong Bay, Vietnam - May 7, 2015
- Photos: Chiang Mai, Thailand - May 7, 2015
Leave a Reply